Sandbox‎ > ‎Archive‎ > ‎IPT 2008-09‎ > ‎Amy's Page‎ > ‎Project Register‎ > ‎

Component 3B: Information Processes (Aftermath of Collecting)

posted Jul 6, 2009, 6:37 AM by Unknown user   [ updated Jul 6, 2009, 7:12 AM by Eddie Woo ]
A record of the 7 information processes should be maintained as the multimedia system is developed, including relevant discussion of issues related to software/hardware constraints and design decisions (e.g. organising data: compression levels applied to images, audio and video data).


  • Mr Woo converted the file formats of the audio recordings for me to .mp3
  • To prepare for putting these files in my flash project, I have started building the basics of the layout, links and titles. All the components of this file have just been constantly processed when I changed colours and sizes.
Storing and Retrieving
  • Images and video were stored on the camera.
  • Audio was stored in an MP3 player.
  • Then Mr Woo retrieved these files and were presumably stored on his laptop.
  • I then stored it in my USB.
  • Now the files are also stored on my computer at home.
Transmitting and Receiving
  • Mr Woo uploaded the audio files on a project register post.
  • I downloaded the audio files from the project register poster.
  • Mr Woo put the video files onto my USB which received them.
  • I have gone through the files briefly to check that they are working, which is displayed on the screen of this laptop.
  • Mr Woo will have the videos displayed either on the camera or on his computer to check that he is retrieving and transmitting the correct files.

Hardware/Software Constraints

Not much for this part of the assignment although when I was getting the videos from Mr Woo, my USB almost ran out of room. Fortunately, nowadays my USBs is almost empty except for one or two word files I currently work on. Altogether, the videos take up 812 MB and the audio 16.6 MB. My USB is 1 GB.

Design Decisions

Because I had to plan out the entire flash project, there were many design decisions that were made at this stage. Firstly, I needed to decide on the categories for the content as navigation links and how I will organise videos and images in flash. With regards to this, I have decided that:
  • First, there will be the main modules and background which will be photoshoped.
  • A movie clip will be put onto this scene and called "content_mc".
  • Inside this will be layers for navigation, titles, text, images etc.
  • There will be six links (introduction, anemometer, clinometer, student interviews, photos, videos).
  • In 'content_mc" will be six frames, one for each link to go to.
For the student interview frame:
  • There will be a movie clip called "interview_mc"
  • Inside this, the first frame will be the main navigation (with all the video and audio interviews) as mini-screenshots.
  • Subsequent frames will be individual interviews which will have a link back to the main interviews menu.
For the photo frame: (I have chosen the simplest way that I believe is still practical.)
  • The photos will be mini-sized, similar to the small sized photos on the intranet. They will be buttons.
  • Upon a mouseover, the "over" frame of the button will be a bigger version of the picture.
For the video frame:
  • These are just videos of the beach. There's only about one of two so this won't be a problem.
The layout has three sections - a box for navigation, one for a graphic and one for the content. The graphic will most likely be a related photo which will be bigger upon mousover. It also resembles the actual internet in the content rectangly and the HSIE icon is a link. However, the colour scheme of the entire project is blue rather than green and black. I also still haven't decided whether the whole thing should be informal (with handwriting or interesting fonts to appeal to the intended audience) or look more professional (with fonts like Arial and Nyala so that it looks more "official").
Still haven't arrange the links neatly yet because right now, I think the content which needs to be done is more important than the details.
 Progress for today: (Evidently, this won't show the rest of the things I did on the other pages...)
 At first I couldn't decide how big to make the whole thing,but in the end I settled on 800 x 600.